E Tū Whānau is a kaupapa Māori movement for positive change.
The kaupapa nurtures and celebrates:
- Te Ao Māori taking responsibility and action to create positive change
- Te mana kaha o te whānau! − doing things that make whānau strong
- tikanga and Māori values − drawing on rich and powerful traditions
- kahukura − the people who lead and inspire change in whānau and communities.
The E Tū Whānau kaupapa was developed after extensive kōrero within Te Ao Māori about the values and behaviours that support strong, resilient whānau who are free from violence.
On this website we celebrate whānau throughout Aotearoa as they build and create healthy, positive lives together.
The violence free and whānau centered kaupapa of E Tū Whānau is proudly Māori but it’s proving rich and inspirational to our refugee and migrant communities as well.
Underlying kaupapa Māori philosophies
The conceptual framework for E Tū Whānau derives from a kaupapa Māori philosophical basis including:
- Te mana kaha o te whānau
- Tino rangatiratanga
- Reclamation of tikanga / restoration of the whānau
- Whakanoa / sanctity of the home
- Mātauranga Māori – traditional values and practices, together with contemporary knowledge, as protective factors for Māori
E Tū Whānau principles
The strategic approach of E Tū Whānau is underpinned by principles. These principles provide a foundation to support and guide our work:
- Māori designed and driven solutions
- Whole-of-whānau approach
- Tikanga foundation
- Autonomy, integrity
- Education focused
- Collaboration and connectedness
Want to know more?
Read about the six E Tū Whānau values.