The winners of the fourth annual E Tū Whānau Song Competition have now been confirmed.
“It’s such a privilege to have been part of this initiative,” says Betty-Anne Monga, one of the judges. “The songwriting was exceptional, with entries in the rangatahi category showing real depth and honesty.”
Entrants were asked to write an original song inspiring positive change, and incorporating one or more of E Tū Whānau’s values; Aroha, Whanaungatanga, Whakapapa, Mana/Manaaki, Kōrero Awhi, and Tikanga.
The competition had a great response and there was an increase in the number of entries submitted (79% in English; 16% in Māori; 5% Bilingual) compared with last year. 139 songs were approved for entry from the 148 entries received from individuals and groups throughout Aotearoa aged 3 years old to 73 years young!
Competition judges Maisey Rika, Pere Wihongi, Betty-Anne Monga and Maaka Phat had the mammoth task of independently selecting just six winners – three for the Open Entry category (any age) and three for the new Rangatahi category (aged 16 years and under).
Maisey Rika says it is no easy feat putting yourself out there to everyone.
“I commend every entry and every kaiwaiata/kaitito. It makes my mahi so worthwhile to see others with that fire to express and create … I take my hat off to all of them, ka pai ā rātou mahi!”
The E Tū Whānau Song Competition is run by Māori Media Network in conjunction with the network of Māori Radio Stations throughout New Zealand.
All entries can still be viewed in the competition gallery on E Tū Whānau’s Facebook page. you can check out the full list of song competition finalists and winners below.
Winners – Open Entry Category
- 1ST – LOVE YOURSELF [$5,000 Cash Prize] entered by Crete Riiwhi-Tupe, Ngāpuhi (Whirinaki)
- 2ND – LET’S TALK [$2,000 Cash Prize] entered by Taniora Tauariki, Ngāti Whātua (Auckland)
- 3RD – PŌHUTUKAWA [$1,000 Cash Prize] entered by Te Rina Ransfield, Heemi Hill & Te Pā Kura of Ōpotiki
Winners – Rangatahi Category
- 1ST – CONQUER [$1,000 Gift Card] entered by Lucian McDermot, Ngāti Raukawa, age 12 (Taupō)
- 2ND – MANA MOTUHAKE [$500 Gift Card] entered by 14 year old Oriwia Maxwell, Ngāti Raukawa ki te Tonga, Rongowhakāta, Ngāti Kahungunu, Ngāitai, age 14 (Palmerston North)
- 3RD – E TŪ WHĀNAU [$250 Gift Card] entered by Twin Harmony, Ngāti Porou, Ngāti Awa, age 14 (Christchurch)
- KEEP HOLDING ON [$250 Gift Card] entered by Ephraim Matafāi age 16 (Mt Wellington, Auckland)
- Read the stories about each song by choosing links below:
- Love Yourself by Crete Riiwhi-Tupe
- Let’s Talk by Taniora Tauariki
- Pōhutakawa by Te Rina Ransfield, Heemi Hill & Te Pā Kura of Ōpotiki
- Conquer by Lucian McDermot
- E Tū Whānau by Twin Harmony